Thursday, October 25, 2012

Field Trip Adventures!

 The Tiger Butterfly
 
This year, we have been focusing a lot on butterflies and their life cycles.  I decided that I wanted to take the kids on a field trip to a butterfly farm that is in Pico Bonito National Park.  All though it was a lot of work to plan and organize - we packed up all 30 kids and chaperones and headed to the farm on Tuesday.

The trip was great.  I was nervous about getting rained out but someone was on our side because the sun came out as soon as we arrived at the farm and all of the butterflies began to fly around for the kiddos.

Two of my kiddos in the farm
 
In the farm, there are at least 18 different kinds of butterflies.  The kids had a great time looking at all of the different ones but their favorite had to be the giant blue one.  I don't blame them because it was really pretty.

Kiddos checking out a caterpillar
 
We not only checked out the butterfly farm, but then went to the serpent house that was full of different snakes (all poisonous of course).  I really enjoyed that but some of the kids were a little scared.  Next to the snakes is an iguana house which was also really fun to see.  There is a huge male who is in there and makes all the other ones look like nothing.

Group A outside of the serpent house

All of the kids had different parts that they liked the best and I had a great time listening to them talk about it all the way home.  The next day, they got to write about their favorite part.  Perhaps my favorite one was one of my students who I think drew an incredible picture of me.  It totally pays to be a 1st grade teacher when you can look like this all the time.  :)

One of my favorite depiction of my student and I
 
I am looking foward to the spring when we can go on another trip and hopefully they will be just as excited about the next one as they were for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment